|Steak and Mushroom Loaf Pie|
I love it when it gets to this time of year and there is nothing nicer to warm you up than a tasty pie. I love a good pie! Olive the versatility of the pie. Big pies, small pies, sweet and savoury. I even have experimented with round and rectangle! Not to mention all of the different pastry options.
I stixk to short crust as I have definitely mastered this now and am pleased to say not once have I taken the pie out of the oven with a soggy bottom!
I believe the two key things to a good pie are 1. Cooking your filling first and 2. Using a metal pie tin.
I don't use a recipe for my fillings but so far they have included steak and mushroom, streak and ale, and chicken, chick pea and chorizo.
I do however stick to this recipe for the pastry which works every time.
1 medium egg
Water to mix
Pinch of salt
- Put flour and salt in a metal bowl (metal helps keep everything cold = better pastry),
- Rub in the butter,
- Mix in 1 egg and use a metal spatula to bring to a dough,
- Add a tbsp of cold water to bring all the dry bits together,
- Quickly kneed to bring everything together,
- Place dough in the fridge for 20mins or so to cool down the butter again before rolling out.
|Chicken and Chorizo|
|Steak and Ale|