Saturday 2 November 2013

Recipe: Microwave Crumble


So I have something to let you all in on...I don't have an oven!  I did, back in April, and then the element blew and since then everything has all been a bit of a roller coaster and it just hasn't been top of the to do list.  Don't get me wrong, I massively thought it would be, and then it sort of became a bit of a challenge in myself to see how long I could last.

To be honest I think it has been good for us.  Instead of popping something in the oven for dinner I've been cooking a lot more fresh food on the hob and grill.  I miss being able to bake, make bread and home made pizza.  I've found that I can make flat bread on the grill, we make fudge and on the hob treats instead of baked goods, and I do still have a microwave.

I've never really been one for using a microwave instead of to reheat things, and defrost.

But the other week I thought I would try a crumble.  This was inspired by the fact that G found a recipe for microwave brownie and it really worked.

Sure Microwave crumble doesn't go crispy on the top, but if you think of it as a different thing then it actually works!  Last night we had homegrown pear and blackberry crumble! Yum!

Serves 2-3
Ingredients 
(all are rough as I tend not to measure with crumble)

4 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp rolled oats
2 tbsp grape nuts (optional)
4tbsp caster sugar
50g butter
1tsp baking powder

4 medium pears (pealed, cored and chopped)
blackberries
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Dark Brown Sugar

  • Heat fruit, vanilla extract and sugar in microwave until fruit starts to soften.
  • In a separate bowl rub the butter into the flour.
  • To this add oats, grape nuts, sugar, baking powder
  • Mix all this together
  • Add to the top of the fruit
  • Microwave for 2 minutes
  • Check and the depending on the heat of your microwave heat for another 1-2 minutes.











No comments:

Post a Comment