I've been lactose free now for the last 2 and a half weeks and I am definitely feeling a lot better for it. It does however mean that when it comes to baking there is a LOT of stuff I can't eat due to the vast amounts of butter and milk that are used for the tasty little cakes and treats!
I am delighted to say that I have now finally got a new oven so baking was top of the to do list yesterday but I needed to find a lactose free recipe.
I adapted this one from BBC Good Food (it was only really the icing that needed changing) and these turned out amazingly!
With all the tasty spices I have to say - it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!
175g Muscovado Sugar
200g self-raising flour
200g carrot grated
1tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
zest 1 orange
150ml sunflower oilIcing:
100g soft cheese (lactofree)
100g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar, flours, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and orange zest.
- Whisk together the eggs and oil, then stir into the dry ingredients with the grated carrot.
- Divide the mixture between cases and bake for 20-22 mins until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before icing.
- For the icing, beat the soft cheese, icing sugar and vanilla.
- Use a palette or cutlery knife to swirl the icing on top of the cakes, then sprinkle with decorations.