Wednesday 10 July 2013

Elderflower Cordial


{10th July}

I have always loved that my Mum makes so many things to keep in the cupboard that preserve that summary taste - elderflower cordial, tomato chutney and raspberry jam.

I thought that I would try my hand this week at elderflower cordial.  I had trouble finding citric acid (used for preserving) so I have made mine without - meaning I have frozen some, and will just have to drink the rest pretty speedily!

I used this recipe below - however living in the city meant that finding enough elderflowers was a bit tricky.  I ended up using 20 elderflower heads and as a result the cordial is tasty but a little bit more like lemon cordial!

TOP TIP: use amount stated or more of elderflowers.

1k sugar
1.5 litres boiling water
4 medium lemons
30 large elderflower heads
(55g citric acid - I did not add this as it was tricky to find and used for preserving)

Place the sugar in a large saucepan or pyrex bowl and pour over the boiling water.  Stir until the sugar has dissolved and leave to cool
Grate the rinds on the lemon with a fine grater, add to the sugar water
Cut lemon into thick slices and add to the water.  Add the citric acid (if using) and stir, then finally add the elderflower heads and stir again.
Cover with a cloth and leave to steep for 48 hours.
Strain through a muslin cloth into a clean bowl
Using a funnel pour into sterilised bottles and store in the fridge if not acid has been used.  Or pour into plastic bottles and freeze.




No comments:

Post a Comment