Monday 15 July 2013

“The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday-but never jam today"

Blackbird Tea Rooms Brighton
{7th July 2013}

This is a slightly belated post as we actually went out for afternoon tea at the Blackbird Tea Rooms, Brighton, last Wednesday.

My gorgeous sister came down to spend the day in Brighton with me, having managed to finally coordinate a day that we both had off together.  We only really had 2 agendas for the day - 1. Buy some cool clothes, 2. Eat some tasty food.  As soon as I knew Bean was coming down to see me I knew I wanted to go to Blackbird.  Having been open now for a little while I still can't believe I haven't been yet.

You step back into a little piece of history.  We had booked a table, (just as well as it was super busy), and got a lovely seat in the window upstairs.  The decor is beautiful, I am soooo going to steal the bird wall paper, and they have made a real effort to source vintage furniture and crockery.





I sometimes worry that afternoon tea can be a bit 'up itself' but there was definitely no worry of this here.  The tearooms offer a variety of dishes, cakes, and sandwiches.  The Afternoon Tea at £12.50 per person comes with your choice of one of the sandwiches, a scrummy homemade scone and jam, and a selection of cakes.  As Bean and I both picked the Afternoon Tea we decided to pick different sandwiches (egg and cress, and goats cheese) and share.

There was a really good selection of teas to accompany our food - traditional to new (rosehips and hibiscus) all served loose leaf in individual vintage teapots.

One of our favourite things of the experience was the quirky loo (an outhouse in the back yard).  Vintage photos and postcards on the walls and individual hand towels made the whole thing a bit of an experience.

I would definitely recommend the Blackbird Tearooms for anyone looking for a quirky, very tasty, inexpensive lunch.






No comments:

Post a Comment